Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Contact details

Tel: +34 950 169729 or

+34 663 297568


The European Court of Justice decided in October 2007 that certain disability and carers benefits are sickness benefits. This means they may be paid to people who leave the UK to live elsewhere in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. The benefits affected are Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Carers’ Allowance. If your benefit stopped when you moved abroad you may be able to get it reinstated – see below.

 Who can get benefits reinstated: 

You may be able to get your benefit reinstated if you had it taken away because you moved to another EEA state or Switzerland and since losing your entitlement you or a family member have: 

  • received State Retirement Pension, Industrial Injuries Benefit, Incapacity Benefit, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance or Bereavement Benefits from the UK. 
  • continued to pay National Insurance Contributions to the UK.
  • paid enough National Insurance contributions to be able to claim a UK contribution-based sickness benefit.

 You will also need to have met the usual rules for the benefit that you are asking to have reinstated.